Friday, September 5, 2008

"Music"ensors!

Ok lets see...I have to finish couple of assignments, I have to complete a couple of applications, I should really be reading at least one textbook right now and most importantly, its 1:53a.m. I should be sleeping...but look what I am doing exactly???!!! I love breaking rules ;)

My all-time favourite quote on music is "If music be the food of life...play on"! And lately "it’s all coming back to me now"! :) My God I am getting so corny these days! What’s happening??? I think I need to "soak up the sun"!! Hahahaha....sorry guys! :D

Well the only Hindi film that all Indians are talking bout these days is "Rock On" and I lovedddd the film. The music...amazing....so of course it’s no rocket science to guess the songs I have been singing lately. But what is amazing is that EVERYONE I KNOW who has watched the film is also singing the same songs. It’s almost like our home anthem is changing. All my home buddies are listening to "Rock On" songs. All my school buddies are singing its songs. All my friends back in India are singing its songs. All my sisters have been singing its songs. And what more...so is Dad! (There are of course people who have differing views on the movie but since that’s not the subject of my post, I will not dwell on that.)

The healing power of music has long been a subject of research. This subject personally has been of interest to me. While it’s interesting to read articles and research reports on this subject, I love it when I make my own little observations and discoveries. So (yet again!!!!) I made an interesting observation which I know was sitting happily at the back of my mind.

Many a times you will come across people (including me) whose typical answer to your question "what is your favourite kind of music" is "it depends on my mood!". Well while it’s true, I was wondering why?? If moods play such an important role in defining our music preferences, then why do we listen to music to change our mood. Vicious circle there.

Well we all have our low days and I had one a couple of days ago too. Since I was still fresh from my "Rock On" craze, I decided to listen to its music. Now "Phir Dekhiye" is supposed to be a song that makes you see the hope side of life. But for some strange reason, I wanted to cry after listening to it. That’s when it struck me (and thank God it did, it diverted my mind) that music is also a multiple dimensional entity.

Listen keenly to any song and you will notice at least 2 rhythms. The same song can have a fast/happy beat and another slow beat! At any moment we can catch only one rhythm. And what is this dependent on...our mood! Our mood is like a biosensor which detects the song rhythm which matches the mood frequency. Therefore, the song only reinforces your emotions at that moment. Since the frequencies lock in together, the song synchronizes with your emotions and become “easy listening”. And if you notice, listening to a happy song at a sad time can be more irritating than happy. They only cause more agitation.

Now one really has to get out of ones comfort zone to listen to the so-called “happy song”! And before you get me wrong, such songs can have a happy and can have a positive effect on you. Reason…cause you have made up your mind and garnered strength to make a change. The act of moving away from your comfort zone itself makes you stronger and it starts changing your mood frequency. You are determined to be happy and so you shall be. This starts changing your mood sensors and so…in time…you are happy again! And that’s called getting your groove back :)!

Now I am sure many of you may not agree with my theory, well…to each his own! So if you ask me, moving around in circles is not always a bad thing! ;)

1 comment:

R said...

Rohini you are so smart. Ruchi is so proud of you!

I love your theories and I love the way you write. I'm your #1 fan.

:-*