Saturday, March 22, 2008

Beware…Vending Machines Ahead!!

This has been a mystery I have been trying to solve since the last semester and finally after much statistical analysis, I have found the reason for my tendency towards higher BMI (ya I have to use euphemism here! :P).

December 5th, 2007 – 10:47 p.m.:
This was a day I had been looking forward to for months and finally as I landed at Bombay (ok Mumbai!) airport, I could feel my heart racing. For the first time in my life I had been away from home and family for such a long time. But now before you think that my heart beat was racing due to excitement then I am sorry to say that was not the only reason. It was due to fear…fear of my family’s reaction to my ever increasing BMI. I had stressed for days over which top would be appropriate that would help avert their shocking reaction. Should I wear the red one…or maybe a kurta…or hey wait maybe the brown one!! Finally after much deliberation and consultation I settled for the Black UCB top. Of course, I teamed it up with the denim jacket. Ya that would fool them!

December 5th, 2007 – 11:13 p.m.:
I could see my Dad waving out to me. I was so excited. I was gleaming from ear to ear and my face just lit up. Oh how I love Daddy (Daddy’s little girl! :-)). As I made my way out of the airport, I could see Mom and Didi standing there. And in all the excitement I forgot all my fears.

Didi: Hey honey!!
Mom: Hi Rohini (giving me a kiss on my cheek)
Dad: Welcome back dear! (One tight hug :-))
Me: Hiiii (I am pretty sure I sucked my stomach in…!!)
Didi: You haven’t put on weight! Why did you scare us so much (Yes, I thought in the interest of everyone at home, I should warn them before reaching. The last thing I wanted was to see shocked faces around me).
Me (in my head): Wow Oprah is right. We should wear jackets to hide our flaws. ;)

So I managed to fool them. In all the excitement and stories and more stories and some more, no one noticed! Thank God for the “constant chattering syndrome”.

December 6th. 2007 – 8:23 a.m.:
I was happily sleeping in my sweet slumber on the bed I missed so much. As the sun made its way through the beige curtained windows, I was smiling in my head. Home. Everything was so perfect. The familiar pillow, the security blanket…oh how I love home. Until, I heard footsteps. My heart started beating fast again. S**t, I could hear Mom’s bangles. God no..I cant hide it anymore. And then almost as if I could sense it coming, Mom entered. Her first words to Dad who was with her at that point “She has put on lots of weight. Let her sleep today. From tomorrow she better go for a run”.

So from Day 2, it was “Operation BMI”. And I am proud to say, it was successful. I mean c’mon. I went home for 5 weeks ON VACATION IN THE SEASON OF GAJJAR HALWA and lost 2 kgs. Achievement! (I don’t want to boast but a lot of people mentioned that there was definitely some reduction in my BMI).

Present:
It was exactly at this time last semester when Chinmay mentioned that I was definitely thinner in Bombay when we met first. And exactly 6 months later while we were ALL enjoying our little treat for the evening, a Cornetto Brownie and Cream Cone, he mentions “So you have started putting on weight again” :O.
@Chinmay: Dude, it was your idea that we eat an ice cream!

Now it’s a different thing that I haven’t done anything about it. But here is where I start wondering. I led a sedentary life style even during my work days. Then why is it that the effects are showing now. OUR SCHOOL IS A PILE OF STAIRCASES. ALL YOU DO IS CLIMB UP AND DOWN THE WHOLE DAY. And climbing stairs is exercise, right? Then how?

And today, it struck me. There is a pattern. I start the semester thinking healthy. Eating healthy. We cook at home and I always feel in my 3rd-4th week at NUS that I have started losing weight. Then all of a sudden, like an avalanche, the assignments and projects start rolling down and I have no option but to keep up. This means sitting in school till late hours in the evening (though we stay closer now). And that’s when it starts…the VISITS TO THE VENDING MACHINE.

Vending machines are a rogue. They are present everywhere. They not only entice you into going closer to them by dressing up in colourful attire of red Doritos or Brown M&M with polka dots or orange “Premiun” peanuts or just some cute little bears with chocolate filling, but also keep blinking in a very sorry manner saying “Make Selection”…Pick Me…Eat Me…Give me freedom from this locker. And the soft-hearted person that I am, I can’t ignore their call for freedom, and before I know I “bail” them out.

As if all this wasn’t enough, they even keep a drinks vending machine next to it…you know in case you get thirty (after all the starchy food), help yourself to some (high caloric) Coke or Nescafe Coffee or even better Diet Coke. C’mon they deserve freedom too, don’t they?

Dear Mom,

You have always taught me to be socially conscious and help out those in need. You always said “Put yourself in the other person’s shoes and think how you would have felt if they didn’t help you”. And that’s exactly what I am doing. I am helping the little helpless souls in the vending machine break free from the bondages of the tall black lock-ups and I hide them in places where they can never ever be found again. I hope you understand and appreciate my selflessness and the sacrifices I make in life for others. I hope I make you proud.

Yours Sincerely,
Rohini 0:-)

4 comments:

myPage said...

ha ha ha ..Ro, that's a good one...stop feeling so socially responsible.

Bored Senseless said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...i swear ill write a comment when i can stop laughing..lifes truth honey..!!

Payal said...

hahahaah!!...this is hilarious ro!!...:D...love it!

R said...

Comment from your Mother -

Shrewed escapist ;) blaming a harmless vending machine.